Sunday, January 25, 2009

My First BWOF!

I'm happy and a little disappointed at the same time. I've seen several rave reviews of BWOF 10-2005-114 and I love cowl neck sweaters. I was lucky enough to find the back issue on eBay. I traced a size 38 and made only one alteration-adding 1" to the waist (I'm long waisted). I tried it on before setting the sleeves and it looked great. However, after setting the sleeves, I'm not overly thrilled with how it fits under the arm. It seems to pull out and down away from my armpit. You can kind of see it in the photo below.

I feel I'm a rather experienced sewist, but I have very little experience when it comes to knowing how to correct fit issues. Cidell's review on PR mentioned that the sleeve cap was too high. Perhaps I need to lower the sleeve cap...or raise the bottom of the armscye? I also think I would like this a little tighter...maybe I should try a size 36?

In any case, I am going to try this pattern again with some type of alteration. This was a very thin sweater knit and I should have doubled the collar. I'll also play around with the armscye to see if I can get it right. I've made Kwik Sew 2856 (below) which is similar but with raglan sleeves--I really like the set in sleeves, so I hope I an work out the sleeve issues.


Oh yeah, the skirt that goes with the BWOF cowl neck is TNT 6 gore skirt pattern than I haven't made in about 12 years--I think it's OOP by now--Simplicity 9363:
I made the skirt out of a very stretchy knit. Here's a better shot of the whole outfit. I got these two fabrics along with a Jalie pattern I purchased on eBay--it was the Jalie pattern I wanted--the fabrics were a bonus!


0 comments:

Post a Comment