This was supposed to be a quick knit top. I think I spent more time practicing hem stitches than it actually took me to complete the top once I got everything worked out. The twist kind of gets lost in this print--the photo does not do it justice...it looks much better in person. Here's the finished result:
I like to get all my stitch settings worked out before I sew the first seam. I think I probably spent a total of 2 or 3 hours trying to get my coverstitch and double needle to produce a decent hem stitch. I finally gave up on the coverstitch. I think I have tension issues with my serger...it needs a tune up. I finally got the double needle to produce a decent result using Marcy Tilton's tip at Threads for using interfacing in a knit hem. I actually found this link on Rusty Bobbin's blog.
My next focus needs to be First Communion dresses for my daughter and goddaughter. I'm trying to decide if I should make these from white silk dupioni or not---I've read that white silk can look dingy next to bright white satin. But I am making an heirloom, so I want to make it out of something special. I'm waiting for a callback and some swatches from Haberman Fabrics to see what they think.
Hot Patterns DISASTER - Weekender Cargo Pants
2 hours ago