Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jalie 2788

This was supposed to be a quick knit top. I think I spent more time practicing hem stitches than it actually took me to complete the top once I got everything worked out. The twist kind of gets lost in this print--the photo does not do it justice...it looks much better in person. Here's the finished result:

I like to get all my stitch settings worked out before I sew the first seam. I think I probably spent a total of 2 or 3 hours trying to get my coverstitch and double needle to produce a decent hem stitch. I finally gave up on the coverstitch. I think I have tension issues with my serger...it needs a tune up. I finally got the double needle to produce a decent result using Marcy Tilton's tip at Threads for using interfacing in a knit hem. I actually found this link on Rusty Bobbin's blog.

My next focus needs to be First Communion dresses for my daughter and goddaughter. I'm trying to decide if I should make these from white silk dupioni or not---I've read that white silk can look dingy next to bright white satin. But I am making an heirloom, so I want to make it out of something special. I'm waiting for a callback and some swatches from Haberman Fabrics to see what they think.

3 comments:

Bunny said...

That is one great looking top.Fits wonderfully! I made a christening gown from white dupioni and yes, it will never be stark white. IMO, the beauty of the silk makes up for that and the off color adds richness. Will be watching your progress. You've got a great blog!

Pamela Erny said...

Marsha....What a great top!

I wrote a tutorial, Perfect Knit Hems Every Time that shows a unique way to stabilize the hem without affecting the drape or stretch of the fabric. You might want to check it out sometime.

Pam ~Off The Cuff~

Dawn said...

That is super cute! I love it in the print.

Post a Comment