Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Second First Communion Dress - DONE!

It's done, and I'm very pleased.

Julia asked about the pattern I used for the first dress. I'll go into more details of both dresses (patterns, materials, etc.) after the dust settles from this weekend. In a nutshell, my daughter's dress is Princess Charming from Australian Smocking & Embroidery (AS&E) #58--minus the tulle overskirt.

A large chunk of time yesterday was spent on creating the cummerbund. I've never made fabric roses before, and the instructions provided were very detailed and easy to follow. That's what I love about AS&E!

First, I created 3 leaves:


Then 3 roses.....


And, to be honest, I was quite surprised at how well it came together:

Here's the dress from the front and the back. Once again, I cheated and opted for a machine hem with a tuck. I tried a sample with a hand-stitched hem, and I just didn't care for it. On this dupioni, I could see every stitch, even picking up only a single thread.The sash is extra wide which makes for a big bow. The dupioni holds the shape beautifully!

I do feel there is a slight problem with this dress. I left a little too much space between the last row of smocking and the waist stay. Had I realized this, I would have made the cummerbund a little bit wider. Ideally, I'd like the cummerbund to sit directly under that last row of smocking.

I'm really very pleased with the roses on the cummerbund...did I mention that? One more thing to finish up....the veil. I'm off to take care of that now!

I may not get to another post until after the weekend, but I promise pictures of my little princess from her special day!

13 comments:

Julia said...

Incredible with a capital I!!!! That is one dress to hang onto for the next generations!!!

Mary Beth said...

Beautiful results. Definitely a labor of love.

Bunny said...

Exquisite, Marsha! What an angel she will be!

I much prefer the tucked hem in dupioni. I have seen so many hand done hems that just don't look right despite intense effort. The tucked hem is the way to go in my book.

That cummerbund is fabulous. What gorgeous flowers and leaves. I may have to snag that issue somewhere!

Shannon said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The roses are perfect!

Martha said...

Just beautiful. She will be a vision. I know you are proud as you should be.

rufflebunnies said...

What an exquisite dress!!! Your work is beautiful!!

Trudy Callan said...

She looks beautiful.

I love your blog.

Come and see what's new at my blog at www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

You can also check my 8 year old daughter's sewing blog at www.sewingsister.blogspot.com

Jeannine said...

I know this is an old post, so I'm not sure you'll see this, but this dress is GORGEOUS. I am trying to decide on a fabric to use for my daughter's FHC dress, and you have sold me on the dupioni. Lustrous!

flower girl dress said...

I think her hair looks great and that dress is really sweet!

sara said...

Its an all round excellent product and definitely one of the best new launches of last year. It’s simple to use, cost effective and delivers exceptional results

communion dresses said...

These dresses are really good though, and they really cute on little angels, they are rarely worn like only once when a wedding in being planned so people hesitate to buy one.

first communion dreses said...

Choosing a christening gown is always a memorable choice. A christening is an once-in-a-lifetime occasion for a baby. http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/

flower girl dress for less said...

Flower girl dress for less-

These dresses are perfect for any occasion, and will certainly not be a one-and-done purchase. A great destination to find a dress that fits your girl would be flowergirldressforless, which is an online store that carries all types of clothes. Not only designer lines but they have categorized the line range in different segments like shop by color, shop by style, shop by price and shop by size.

Post a Comment