Monday, July 27, 2009

A Kick to the Chest

That's what if feels like when you get a shock from your ICD. For those of you not familiar with common cardiac acronyms, that stands for implantable cardioverter defibrillator. My device was implanted just short of 5 years ago. A few months ago, I was told there was a "recall" on my lead...the wire could crack and cause "noise" that the device interpretted as an abnormal rhythm, resulting in an unnecessary shock. Long story short, that's what happened to me last Thursday morning....I got shocked not once, but 4 times. Not fun. Not fun at all. So I spent a couple of days in the hospital--got a new lead put in and a new device as well, since my battery would be drained in a couple of years anyway. It feels good to be home, and recovering from a replacement is not nearly as painful as the original implant.

I missed State Fair judging last Thursday but found out from my friends that I won 4 or 5 blue ribbons--I entered 7 items this year. Pictures and details will come in mid-August after the Fair is over.

Also missed a trip to Door County with my sisters and niece....but they stopped on their way back home and spent the day with me. It was nice...we don't get to see each other that often....maybe only 2 or 3 times a year.

I can't believe August is almost here. I'm looking forward to whipping out some last minute summer items. DD has been begging for some new dresses, and almost-5-year-old DS is open to a shirt as long as it has snaps and not buttons.

Did you catch the connection there....my ICD was implanted just short of 5 years ago and my son is almost 5 years old.....long story there....

4 comments:

Bunny said...

What a harrowing experience! You must be relieved it is all back to new again.

Julia said...

What a scare that must have caused! I'm so glad you are ok and that you got to see your sisters and niece. We had a fifth grader who had a growth spurt last year and it caused a problem with his pace maker at school one day. That was scary.

Cindy said...

I hope that you are doing well. Very scary and sounds like there is a story there! Well wishes to you.

Glad to have discovered your blog through the Chanel sew along.

Love to find another midwest sewer!

Trudy Callan said...

You have a great blog. I'd love for you to come and visit my blog. I just made a Vintage Vogue Original 1944 Design, V2858. On the previous page you'll find a dress I made from an original 1974 pattern that I found in an antique store. I call that post The Lady in Lavender. And lots of other things in between. Hope you enjoy.

Post a Comment