Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jalie 2788

3 comments

This was supposed to be a quick knit top. I think I spent more time practicing hem stitches than it actually took me to complete the top once I got everything worked out. The twist kind of gets lost in this print--the photo does not do it justice...it looks much better in person. Here's the finished result:

I like to get all my stitch settings worked out before I sew the first seam. I think I probably spent a total of 2 or 3 hours trying to get my coverstitch and double needle to produce a decent hem stitch. I finally gave up on the coverstitch. I think I have tension issues with my serger...it needs a tune up. I finally got the double needle to produce a decent result using Marcy Tilton's tip at Threads for using interfacing in a knit hem. I actually found this link on Rusty Bobbin's blog.

My next focus needs to be First Communion dresses for my daughter and goddaughter. I'm trying to decide if I should make these from white silk dupioni or not---I've read that white silk can look dingy next to bright white satin. But I am making an heirloom, so I want to make it out of something special. I'm waiting for a callback and some swatches from Haberman Fabrics to see what they think.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Vogue 8413 - Complete

0 comments

I finished it Wednesday night and wore it to work on Thursday.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results. My main regret is not interfacing the collar. It could have used a bit more body to make it stand up. And I lengthened the bodice just a bit too much. Full review here.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Zippers and Knits - Part 2

0 comments

Ripping the zipper out was not quite as time consuming as I thought it might be. I used the ripping method in the picture below.

I added a 1/4" strip of Fusi-knit to the existing strip and re-inserted the zipper.
Much better! I now have a nice smooth zipper and my waist seam is still perfectly aligned.
I'll do a post on my technique for lining up a seam with an invisible zipper when I post the completed pics of the dress. I still need to attach the collar, insert the sleeves, and hem. I hope to finish before the end of the week.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Zippers and Knits

0 comments

I'm currently working on Vogue 8413 in a charcoal ponte roma knit I picked up at Joann's. The pattern calls for a regular zipper, but I prefer invisible zippers. I have an invisible zipper foot for my machine which makes insertion of invisible zippers incredibly easy--I mean, super easy! Plus, I think it looks much more RTW. I interfaced the seam allowance along the back, but don't think I got it quite wide enough because I ended up with some rippling along the zipper:

I used fusi knit and only cut it 5/8" wide--I think it should have been 3/4" wide to properly stabilize the seam. I'm happy with how well I lined up the waist seam...
...but the rippling just won't do. I'll have to rip it out. But not tonight. I'm getting tired. A tired girl with a seam ripper working on very dark fabric with very dark thread spells disaster!